Saturday, November 14, 2009

Gjetost Ski Queen "cheese"


Ski Queen is without a doubt the weirdest cheese I have ever tried. My cousin Alison sliced me a bit after she tasted ski queen at Fresh Market, where it was paired with apple slices, which makes perfect sense for a cheese that looks and tastes like a big caramel. I know it sounds gross, but it isn't. It's more...intriguing.

I looked at the website for this strange Norwegian cheese, and I am now convinced that you go to Oslo for the sweaters, not for the food. Check out this recipe for a stew that includes ski queen cheese and reindeer meat, just in time for the holidays! And apparently, if you add ski queen to your gravy, you'll never want to make gravy without it again. I don't know about you, but I'm not buying it. Well, I mean, I bought the cheese, but I'm sure as hell not putting it in my gravy!

3 comments:

  1. Nope- try it. It's the best and creamiest gravy you'll ever have in your life! It's so complimentary to turkey, just the right amount of sweetness and the perfect texture.

    I'm never going back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's best (IMO) as a dessert cheese. Put some raspberry jam on a Wasa cracker or a firm bread with a thin slice of the gjetost on top. The tang of the cheese against the sweetness and tartness of the raspberry is a wonderful combo. Another good combination is a Wasa (or bread) + Nutella (chocolate-hazelnut spread) + thin slice of Ski Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since this wonderful cheese is so rich, the proper way to slice it is with a cheese slicer rather than a knife. It's absolutely delicious on buttered, toasted, homemade Norwegian wheat bread.

    ReplyDelete